Fairseat House

Fairseat House dates back to the 1830s and is a Grade II Listed Building located near the centre of Fairseat on the northern side of Vigo Road when travelling in the direction of Stansted.
The property was Grade II Listed in May 1984 (Historic England Listing: 1236183) and described as follows: “House. Circa 1800, enlarged c.1850. Red brick. Cornice, with brackets in pairs, to low-pitched hipped slate roof. Central ridge stack and side slope stacks. 2 dormers. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window symmetrical front, glazing bar sashes with gauged flat-arched heads. The two windows on the ground floor, located to the extreme left, have been replaced by a one-storey square bay to the left and an oval window to the right. All windows have Venetian shutters. Entrance at rear. 2-storey 4-bay red brick wing to right. Pyramidal hipped slate roof. Glazing bar sashes with gauged flat-arched heads.”
In the 1830s, Horace Grant built Fairseat House on land purchased from William Hickson of Fairseat Manor. Other land purchases were made in the 1830s and 1840s, resulting in an area of some six acres. Fairseat House was originally used as a boarding school for young ladies and run by Horace Grant’s cousin, Hannah Grant. Horace also built an adjacent residence for himself known as ‘The Cottage’, now extended and renamed as Court House, which also served as a Toc-H hostel (Talbot House Charity) during World War II.
Further information on Court House is available under Places>Landmarks
Under Development
Authors: Will Peat
Editor: Tony Piper
Contributors: Dick Hogbin
Last Updated: 29 August 2026