Events: VE Day Celebrations

The war in Europe came to an end on 7th May 1945 with Germany’s unconditional surrender. This marked the end of six years of bloody, costly fighting and the beginning of the end of the Second World War. The Prime Minister declared 8th May a national holiday, allowing people to celebrate the victory and remember those who lost their lives. It was called Victory in Europe Day to mark the end of hostilities against Germany, but also to recognise that fighting was still taking place against Japanese forces in Asia and the Pacific.

The programme for the VE Day Celebrations. Image courtesy of Fairseat Archive.

In Stansted Parish, a Celebration Committee headed by Hugh Pasteur decided to organise an afternoon and evening to remember, and on Saturday, 14th July, a programme of celebrations took place on the newly established Stansted Recreation Ground.

Until 1939, the area had been owned by the Church as Glebe Lands to provide income for the Vicar. In that year, with Canon Andrew Williams’s agreement, the Parish Council purchased it for £275 to provide a recreation ground for the village. World War II meant that all available land was needed for agriculture, and so the newly acquired recreation ground continued in arable use under the tenancy of Cllr. Haydon, which was also temporarily used by the RAF Balloon Command. By July 1945, though, the Parish Notes tell us that “before the end of the season it is hoped that cricket will once again be seen on Rectory Meadow, now the Parish Recreation Ground. The Club’s members are moving the pavilion to its new site and preparing the pitch. May the new ground mark the beginning of a new life for the old club.”

The Culverstone Silver Band at the VE Celebration in Stansted. The Band Mascot was two-year-old Bob Hills, jaunty cap and drum at the ready. Image courtesy of Fairseat Archive.

As can be seen, a full programme of sixteen races for children was organised by Mr H.B. Murphy, who was the husband of the school headmistress. The events were followed by a Children’s Tea in the Schoolroom (there being no village hall at this date), then by some novelty events for the adults. Following the last of these events, there was a two-hour session of dancing and community singing to the sounds of the Culverstone Silver Band.

The Band was active in the Culverstone Green/ Harvel/ Meopham area from the 1930s to the 1970s and played at village fetes, church events and school gatherings. The band was non-profit making and, indeed, is recorded in 1939 as having made donations to the Lord Mayor’s Red Cross Fund and the St John’s Fund for the sick and wounded in the war. They practiced next to the Post Office in Whitepost Lane and had a hut in Juddson’s Recreation Ground. They were called a ‘Silver Band’ not because of their uniforms, but because they used silver-plated brass instruments. The term also distinguished them from military-style brass bands. A prominent member was Fred Hills, the father of their mascot, Bob. The Drum Major was Miss Pamela Lucas.

One can only imagine the relief and satisfaction of the end of the war and the prospect of getting back to normal. It must have been an emotional occasion, thinking of the sacrifices and loss of life, but at the same time, looking forward to the future. No doubt there was laughter and tears in equal measure. And the band played on ….