Fairseat Manor

Fairseat Manor is located in the centre of the hamlet of Fairseat, opposite the village pond and adjacent to Fairseat Chapel (The Church of the Holy Innocents).
The manor house dates back to the 15th century, if not earlier. In 1682, it was known as Barbers Farm and was inhabited by the Lance family, who were also prominent in the nearby village of Ash. In the early 1700s, ownership passed to John Cox. The house and its land were bought in the 19th Century by the wealthy social reformer, William Hickson, whose family intermarried with the Waterlows. Later owners, Colonel and Mrs Anderson, gifted the recreation field, opposite the manor house, for use by the local community.
The manor house has a particularly fine, characteristically early Georgian doorcase, and the narrowing of the windows indicates the declining importance of hallways over time. It was listed Grade II* in 1952.
Historic England Listing: 1236169
Circa 1700 to C17. Red brick with blue headers and red dressings and pilasters. Concealed slate roof. Two storeys on a brick plinth with a platband and a tall parapet. 2-2-2 bay facade, divided by four giant pilasters, each surmounted by a plaster wren above the cornice. Glazing bar sashes in flat-arch surrounds, the side dressings carried up as vertical bands of red headers. Central panelled door in flat doorcase of fluted Tuscan pilasters, the entablature with ogee ornament. Two c.1700 panelled rooms and a panelled hall with a 3-flight newel staircase behind on the ground floor.
Under development.